19.9.09

A little story

This post contains nothing about quilting.  Now I am working on my swap projects and they are a secret so nothing to show you.  If you are not interested in other things than quilty ones then you should stop here.

I want to tell you a little story.  As many of you know Iceland was settled a little over 1000 years ago by Norwegian people.  When they came to Iceland they claimed land where they came ashore.  Mostly it were men but where I lived when I was a child it was a WOMAN named Auður djúpúðga which means Audur the wise woman.  It is said that she was a Christian and that she went every day to a hill near her home to pray. Many years ago there was a cross built there in her memory.  I want to show you pictures from the place she lived and prayed and of the nature around there.
 
This is the valley she lived in (obviously not the house she built)


This is where she prayed. 



Here you can see what is written on the cross


This is the view to the south


This is to the north-east.



Here you can read about her story, the saga is named Laxdæla, Auður is also called Unnur in the text as in the saga.



Here are the pictures of the nature :)




 
 

 

In the old days people made these so they wouldn´t get lost on their way in bad weather, then they would just follow them and on one side there was a stone that stood out and pointed in the direction to the next "varða" as it is called in Icelandic.  Did you have this in your country in the old days?



And at last  a picture of my old friend.  He loves to be free and running around.

 

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Gudrun, enjoyed your little story.....and seeing your four legged friend...hugs lyn

Ali Honey said...

Your new header of the bright red leaves with rain drops is lovely. You have so few trees ( compared with New zealand ) that one like that must be extra special. Your landscape and vegetation is very similar to ours around our mountain and desert area, which is a small part in the North Island where I live and a greater area in the South island which has Alps running almost it'e entire length.
Mainly our country is very green with lots of trees.( and quite high rainfall )

paulette said...

Hi Gudrun,
I enjoyed a glimpse of Iceland! Very beautiful and much different than here. I also enjoyed the story and seeing your dog. Did you take the pictures as they are gorgeous. Also love your header-very fallish!
Take care!
Paulette

Gina said...

Loved the pictures and the story that went with them. Thank you for sharing them.
We have the stone beacons in Wales aswell. Ours have a little dip in the top so there will always be water in them to drink.

Love and hugs Gina xxx

willywagtail said...

I honestly don't know about markers in Australian history but I have heard that some native American Indians used to use a similar thing. Maybe it is not so necessary in a warm/hot country like Australia where trees have leaves all year round and almost nowhere ever has snow to confuse you. I always love your bits of imformation. Cherrie

Laila said...

Hi. Thanks for your show and tell. ;-) Nature are beautiful. Yoe as you guess we got "varde" her in Norway.
Hugs,

~Bren~ said...

Wonderful story. I love those kinds of tales. The landscape is beautiful!

Kim said...

I can't imagine the courage and strength this woman had to have in order to accomplish this. We have lighthouses here to show us the way around the Great Lakes. I see that the beauty of autumn has found you there in Iceland where the land is a beauty of it's own kind.

Lynda said...

Hi Gudrun, Thank you for sharing that beautiful story and the pictures of such a beautiful area. I live where there are mountains all around what used to be mostly desert area but is now green all Spring and Summer, reds, yellows, oranges and brown during the Fall and covered in snow most of the winter. Thanks for sharing. Lynda

Chookyblue...... said...

always interesting to get bits of history fron different countries........

Magia da Inês said...

Olá amiga!
Passei para rever seu cantinho e as novidades...
Seu trabalho continua lindo, criativo e muito alegre!
Parabéns!!!
Espero você em:
magiadaines.blogspot.com
Um ótimo domingo!
Beijinhos carinhosos.
Itabira - Brasil

annemariesquilt said...

Lovely story Gudrun!
Your picture of nature in Island is awesome..
I am so sorry that Nordisk not will come to Island in 2012 but I realy hope it will happen later on!!

Myra said...

Great photos, and thanks for sharing a history story of Iceland... 8-)
Wonderful!

Simone de Klerk said...

What a wonderful story, dear Gudrun! I love reading about the history of your country and to see certain old traditions. What does it say on the cross where Audur prayed?
What a lovely country you live in!

Jossie said...

Thank you for sharing this little story. I love everything Icelandic. Is this near Reykjavik? I can't remember seeing the cross.

Libby said...

Thank you for the wonderful sightseeing tour and history of your country. It's so nice to see the beauty that you are surrounded by *s*

Rose Marie said...

Beautiful story to go along with a gorgeous landscape! Here in Canada the Inuit use inuksuks to show that they were here and where they went. This is the link if you want to read more http://inuitinukshuk.com/

suz said...

Thanks for the lovely story and for sharing some views of Iceland. Native Americans left similar stone piles as direction markers, at least in the east, but then Norsemen came to these coasts, so maybe they taught the natives!? Boy Scouts are taught to use similar markers when setting up trails, so the tradition continues.

marit said...

I'm "homesick"! Iceland has a very special place in my heart. Thank you for sharing!
Yes, we have a lot of varder here in Norway too, and a few stonecrosses, two of them quite near to us, but they are not very old...

Sandi said...

Great landscape photos and story. The little plants and the lichens are interesting. Nice photo of your old doggy friend. Dogs just love going for walks.

Sara said...

Thank you for the story and photos, this one with red leafs and drops moved me a lot.

And what a tail does your friend have!!!:)

I really wish you told sth like this (not only from the oldest preiod of the Iceland history) from time to time! :*

Leanne said...

Thanks for sharing with us. It is very interesting to travel around the world in blogland. Do you have trees in Iceland?

Anonymous said...

Gudrun, Did I read somewhere that you're coming to the Houston Quilt Festival? I decided rather last-minute to make reservations and go.

Nina Lise@Mrs Moen said...

Fobulous pictures! Both my parents and mother in law have been to Iceland, but I have not made it there yet, so it was nice to get a virtual tour! Thank you!

Carole said...

Thank you for writing about Auður djúpúðga. I love it when you write about your country! I will visit one day! It is so beautiful! Now you have my curiosity going! When was Auður born? I still relish your tale about the Yulilads! I am convinced they have been taking my things! If they show up with a thimble, please check if it's mine! ;o) Hugs, my friend!

G'G'ma said...

I enjoy your stories about Iceland so much. And, your photos. Thank you.