

The main material used to build the houses was "torf" i.e. grass with the root and mud under, it was stacked up to build the walls.
This is how the first houses were.


As years passed the houses changed and the size of the houses depended on how "rich" people were. Here you can see various types/sizes of the houses.







It is said that these houses were cold during wintertime and hot during summertime. People still lived in these houses after 1900. I remember one old man back home who lived in a house like that around 1970, it was a very small one only two buildings I think. We don´t have many of these houses left and we don´t have old buildings like Castles etc. like in Europe. People here were very poor and barely survived.
On the quilting front. I plan to begin quilting the SSCS this weekend as the time is nearing when we have to finish. The top of the scrappy quilt is almost finished and I hope I can show you a picture of it in next post. I have finished the third DJ block, so I have accomplished a little bit the last few days although most of the time was spent working.
I hope you haven´t given up on me although it is a long time since I last posted something here.
Best wishes to you.
22 comments:
These houses are truly amazing! I would love to see them someday (just like all my dream quilt projects - it's always someday LOL)
Nice to hear from you again - pity some of us have to work when we could be quilting :O)
Gudrun, This is an interesting post for me. Today I printed my first three blocks for my DJ and am starting on it finally. Tomorrow I will pick out which fabrics and start cutting and stitching. What a project!
Oh.....I wish I could come and see now. But I know in 2009 when Icland is hosting Scandinavian Quilt Meeting, I'll be there.
It is very interesting !!! I remember having seen this kind of houses in Denmark.
I am living in a house from the end of the 19th century and it is SOO different !!!
Wow - those are some great houses. I wonder how folks managed through the winters. Thanks for sharing so many wonderful photos.
I visited your blog today, you are making wonderful things! Welcome to have a peek on mine. I am busy with the quiltfestival next week, visitors are coming from all over.
What an interesting post! It must have been very dark in those houses during wintertime! Thanks for sharing!
Wow! Those are amazing! I love seeing how other people have lived or still live. Amazing!!!
Kristie
Great post Gudrun. Amazing old houses and hardy folk who lived in them.
It looks like Frodo and Bilbo would have been right at home.
My word - who would know about these kinds of houses that except a blogger who lived in Iceland. I cannot believe, the History Channel, or Travel Channel, etc., has not featured this amazing history of homes. Thank you.
How interesting ! Amazing what I'm learning from bloggers all around the world. Such a pain when life gets in the way of our quilting - lol !
Thank you for such a great post! Those houses are amazing -- I agree with Gypsy Quilter; they look like the inspiration for hobbit homes.
I've been thinking of Iceland a lot recently because I've been wearing my wonderful sweater of Icelandic wool, and my hat made by The Handknitting Association of Iceland. It's been cold here...like 4 C. :)
Good for you for getting your third DJ block done!
The houses bring back some memories :o) Are those top ones from Eiriks stadir? I have visited there and I've been to Stöng - both the excavation site and the reconstruction. And there is a similar reconstruction in the north of Noerway as well that I've been to.
I hope I can fit in May Britt's suit case in 2009 :o)
These houses are quite quaint and it really surprised me about the comfort of them depending on the season. Considering the thickness of the walls, I would have thought they would be warm and snug in winter and cool in summer.
Loved to see these photos! I saw some houses like this once I was in Skaftafell. It is so interesting!
Thanks for the history! It makes sense with the lack of trees that wood would not be a first choice. What was their main source of heat? Thanks for sharing!
Oh thank you for sharing about the houses. That is so cool to see them. You always have fun things to share!
HI Gudrun.......and before I forget yes i missed you.......this is a very interesting post about the houses........we don't have castles in Australia either........I have enjoyed your pics
What an interesting post. Thank you !
What amazing houses, thanks for showing them. They were cold in winter and hot in summer - you think they could have thought of a better way!
Loved this post!! So many things I would never know unless I visited blogland. Those houses were very interesting. I've never even seen pictures of them before. Thanks for sharing!!
Post a Comment