
Yesterday I went to the only quilt shop here in Reykjavík, I wanted to buy some fabric you use when you do applique with turned edges. The lady that was working there was new and she didn´t find it, she called the owner and another lady to help her, when the owner knew what I was asking about she said "oh that I never use it, it makes the applique so bulky and ugly" the other lady nodded and repeated "oh yes it makes applique so ugly"
They handed the fabric to the lady that was helping me, then the other lady said "well it can be nice sometimes" but the owner just walked away. I am so offended, I have always tried to buy as little as I can at this shop because the owner is known to be like that, I have instead used the internet and the other shops here in Iceland and you can bet that I won´t be a regular customer after that, how rude do you think this was and Rose Marie if you read this then you now know that you will get a ugly quilt because I am going to use that method of applique in our little swap.
Kim has tagged me and I am supposed to write down 8 random things about me, I am not very good at this but I will have a try.
I love to stay up late at night and sleep in the morning
I am pretty good at welding
I have one sister and two brothers
Elton John is my all time favorite
Blue is my colour
I like reading books, especially those about crimes and mystery
I can own shoes for decades, I never wear them out
...........???????
I got an award from Jeanne, I am so glad that she gave it to me I really don´t know if I deserve it.

I am supposed to name 10 quilters I would like to award and that is a tricky one, but out of you all wonderful ladies I would like to name, Carole, Rose Marie, Jeanne, Kristie, Kim, Donna, Anne Ida, May Britt, Laila, Linda, Connie, May Kristin, Libby, Anne Marie, Nadine and Bren. I think this is a little over ten but you are all so wonderful and there are many, many others that deserve this award and make my day by blogging.

28 comments:
You've got my interest peaked...what is this stuff? Are you talking about interfacing where you sew the applique piece to the interfacing, then make a little slit and turn it to then iron it down?
What a bummer....I have been employed in retail for over 30 years, it is a rule in my life...the customer is the most important thing...you bend over backwards to make your customer happy...upset one customer you upset 20......sorry you have had a bad experience.
Oh dear, Gudrun that's not a good experience. What is it you're looking for? Can we get it here in the US for you? I love your new header.
I HATE bad manners - there is just no need at all ! And it is only their opinion anyway.
Such a bad attitude from the fabric shop-owner. I’ve been there too. They can make you feel like you are some idiot. I hope you will be able to find what you need.
Congratulations on the award!
That shop owner sure knows how to keep the customer happy so that they will return....ehh...no way! I would rather pay some extra elsewhere than go back to that shop!
Customer service should be #1 on that shop owner's priorities if she wishes to have repeat visits from them. Seems she doesn't get it. Thank you for naming me on your blog.
Guðrún, first I want to thank you for nominating me for the award. Second, how rude and inconsiderate of those people! That is unacceptable. It bothers me that she would judge your work that way. You are an excellent quilter, don't let it get to you. Off to write you an e-mail my friend!
I've been reading your blog for a while...just haven't commented, but I had to with this. How rude of the people in that shop! They won't be in business long if they treat everyone like that.
I don't really know what type of fabric you were looking for. I do needleturn applique and I use all kinds of fabric. I try not to use a real coarse weave like homespun because that ravels so bad, but I will try anything if I can get the color I want.
Good luck on your project. I'm sure it will turn out lovely!
ai, ai, these people are rude! Maybe you can teach them all about applique and quilting before they start selling....no buy some where else!
Ugly applique??? Is there such a thing??? The shop owner will not have her shop for long with manners like that. I have done every form of needleturn applique and though I like some forms better than others, I have never found an ugly one!!!
Thank you for the award...I am so honored!
Oooh, I could tell you sooo many "stories" about our small quilt shop in my little corner of the world ! Suffice it to say I'm WITH YOU, my friend, we're on the same boat ! :>)
THANKS for the award, I'm feeling very "special" and honoured. You shouldn't wonder why you got it : you deserve it 1000 percent !
Hugs & smiles to you !
NADINE
How awfull of her to say something like that. I wouldn't buy at that store anymore.
Arrgh!!! I have a lovely memory of shopping there, but that was about seven years ago, and I guess we were sort of just picking things off the shelves and not talking too much to the staff... Anyway, that is no way to run a shop, and definitely no way to talk to a customer!!!
And I'm sure your appliqué on the winter swap quilt is lovely!!! And I hope you tell her that appliquéing with interfafcing is a matter of practice! Sure she gave up before she really gave it a chance! The first time I tried it got all bulky and ugly, but it got lots better the more I tried. Be confident in your skills and don't let her get you down, please!
Thank you so much for the award! You are such a sweetheart and I feel honoured!
Wishing you a lovely Sunday! Hugs...
Thank you so much for the little award. I just love visiting your blog.
I just hate shopping at a store like that. People can be very rude.
Kristie
such bad service and when you put that horrible thing on your blog I am sure we will leave horrible comments ............lol........
Honestly some people have no idea.....had you not used it you would not have asked so of course you know it will turn out beautifully......and RoseMarie will just love it......and so will we........
Thanks so much for the award I feel very special.........
*argh* We have a shop in my area where I have had similar experience. She's still in business for many years, but I feel good knowing that I don't trade there.
Thanks so much for the award . . . I really feel the same about you *s*
That's the problem of having only one shop :) But you still have vthe internet.
Isn't it a curious situation? The owner of a shop has to sell. And the best way to earn the money is to satisfy the customer. And quilter they are the best customer of the world. If we like some things, we don't need them but we will buy. ;-)) I hope you find some other shops or the internet. Both ways of buying are wonderful. The personal touch or perhaps the international feeling.
The best wishes from cologne.
It's a shame the shop owner has such an attitude. You want to feel good when you walk through the door to your local shop. Sounds like she could benefit from a course at charm school. VBG
I can't see you doing 'ugly' regardless of whatever fabric you use. When I send your package, I'm going to include some stuff for you to help make your life easier for doing applique. Many thanks for naming me for the award and I love your new header! :o)
Ugh -- I don't blame you at all for not wanting to go back. I have the same policy when I got to quilt shops where they are rude. If they are going to be that mean, they don't need my business (or my money).
What a shame that woman at the shop was so rude to you!
I hope you keep your applique up, & dont become discouraged by this woman.
Hugs Gudrun! You know there are so many wonderful people out there, who are not in the least like that person! Your work is lovely!!
Hello Gudrun!!
Wow what a ruff day your day has been. You realy need a rose or to.The best is to forget about this lady as soon as possible, I know it is not easy......
You are a wonderfull person and do not diserve this at all.
I normaly use http://www.lappeteknikk.no/ if I need more fabrics from internet. They put out new stuff all the time and the service is great.
I quess the reward is for me? ( I don't know if there are any other Anne Marie out there)
Thanks I am realy greatful!
Take care and have a nice weekend. I will be away in my mothers 80's universery. It will be nice to see all my loved ones.
Oh that is so awful. I can't believe how unfriendly and rude they were. I"m sure your quilt will be beautiful. And I love the berry picture in your header!
Hi Guðrún, I believe every word you wrote about the shop owner, because I know exactly what she's like, it's unbelieveable... I think every quilter in Reykjavík is waiting for someone else to open another shop that can compete with her!
I hope you won't listen to her!!
B.t.w. I love your Icelandic Flag Block :)
Thank you for the award, it very nice of you to think of me....
It took a while to find out that you realy meant me.....
There was a quilt shop like that here - I voted with my feet some years ago. I now see that it has closed down. I wonder why?
They aren't worth supporting if they're like that. You'd think they would want to make a sale rather than trying to appear superior. The only way some people can feel good about themselves is to put others down.
Post a Comment