29.5.08

Birthday and earthquake

Today is my birthday, yepp I am a year older but that is all right because I never remember how old I am *LOL* The weather is good, the sun is shining and of course all because of my birthday!

We had a BIG earthquake today here in Iceland about 30-40 kilometers east of Reykjavík, everything was shaking. There is much damage in the houses near the earthquake everything is broken and some houses are even damaged. People are asked not to stay inside because they are expecting another big one the next hours.




Rocks came down the mountains as you can see in the picture, and some roads got damaged. Luckily there are no major injuries on people.
Last big earthquake was in the year 2000 and then many houses were damaged.

This is what I am doing now, no big progress, slowly, slowly moving along :) I am going to make three quilts with Dora the explorer for three young ladies in my family.


29 comments:

~Bren~ said...

I am so glad you are ok...our earth has seemed a bit unstable lately.
A VERY Happy Happy Birthday to you!!!!

LAPPEQURI said...

Happy birthday:-)
Håper du har hadt en fin dag.
Ønsker deg en fin og kreativ helg :-)

Diana said...

Happy birthday! I just saw the story about the earthquake on CNN and thought of you. Glad to hear that everything is okay.

Oddbjørg said...

Happy Birthday!
Good to hear that you are okay.

May Britt said...

It must have been a scary experience. Hope it will not be another one. And happy birthday to you. I understand you celebrate so the earth are shaking :)

sewkalico said...

A very Happy Birthday to you! Now we will never forget your birthday!!
I wish you many many more happy birthdays!!!! (BUT no more earthquakes!)

corry said...

Happy birthday to you, Gudrun. Hiep, hiep, hoera!!

Nemo said...

Happy Birthday!!!

Chookyblue...... said...

Happy Birthday .........

good to hear you are not effected by the earthquake..........

Jeanne said...

Happy Birthday, Gudrun! How scary to have the earthquake so close. It's good to hear that you are okay and I hope nobody else was hurt either.

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Happy Birthday to you...happy birthday to you...have a fantastic day...Glad to hear you are safe...very scary...

Danetta said...

Happy Birthday to you! Glad you are safe.

Carole said...

Happy Birthday my friend! Hope you had a wonderful day! Glad to read that you are safe! Hugs!

Gina said...

I'm so glad you are Ok. I didn't realise that Iceland suffered from earthquakes.
Happy Birthday to you. I hope you have a great day.

love and hugs xx

Kim said...

Happy birthday! Glad you didn't suffer damages or some other terrible thing. Geesh...Pretty soon Minnesota will be shaking.

Dora is so cute for kids. You have made a lot of quilts lately. Atta girl!!

Heleen said...

Happy birthday! Hartelijk gefeliciteerd Gudrun! Hiep hiep hoera!

Anne Ida said...

GRATULERER MED DAGEN! HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Hope you have had a wonderful day, earthquake and everything! Happy to hear it is a bit away from the city, and the damage isn't too bad! Take care and enjoy your weekend!

Laila said...

Happy birthday. I'm glad you are ok. Heard abouth it in the news and were thinking of you at once. Hopr you had a wonderful day.

Beertje Zonn said...

Still heartfelt Congratulations on your birthday.
Kind regards,

Sonnja & Beertje Zonn
from the Netherlands

Libby said...

Happy (belated) birthday . . . hope your celebration was filled with lots of fun things - and a few tasty treats *S*
Glad to hear that you are doing well after the large quake - let's just hope that any aftershocks small and non-destructive.

Ali Honey said...

Sorry I wassn't here on your Birthday BUT belated Best Wishes.

Glad you weren't hurt in the shaking! We get earthquakes here in NZ too. Take care.

Sarah Nopp said...

OOO- earthquakes always give you the jitters for a few days. Our last big one was the Nisqually quake of 2001. I was standing in the bread aisle at the grocery. Those plastic bags are basically frictionless! Zooming through the air! I am glad you are ok :)

May Kristin said...

A belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU! And to me! My birthday is also on may 29th! How funny! So now I wonder, how old are you??
Hope you had a wonderful day!
It's good to hear you are ok, I heard about the earthquake, and thought about family and friends, but I heard they are ok.
Take care!

quiltygal said...

Happy Birthday to you & of course I am glad that you are ok it must be scarey with all the quakes recently makes you wonder what is happening? maybe I need to quilt quicker!!
Claire

annemariesquilt said...

I was thinking about you when I heard the news.. Scary things Earthquakes!
Happy to hear that you are OK and nobody else is hurt.
Take care and stay safe please...

Luísa Silva said...

Sorry to hear about the earthquake. I am glad that you are fine but I am sure it was very scary.
A bit late happy anniversary Guðrún :)

Anonymous said...

HAPPY (belated) BIRTHDAY WISHES, Gudrün !.... and many more :>)

Heartfully,
XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO
NADINE

Hedgehog said...

Happy Belated Birthday!

Rose Marie said...

Happy belated birthday and I hope that everything has settled down now and that your home wasn't damaged.