11.3.10

Virtual world blog tour... Iceland

It was Chookyblue´s idea to make a tour around the world visiting blogging friends. She challenged her readers to show pictures from their country and here I go.
We start at my home.  My dear friend Carole sent me these gorgeous gifts, chocolade that my "boys" argued over, how many have you eaten? I only had one... A perfect collection of fat quarters.  And see the beautiful notion holder, Carole´s husband made it and he also made...


this for my little princess, how sweet is that :)


Then Lynda sent me a pattern and was so sweet to give me this to put hot pots on.

The lets go outside.  On my way downtown I came across this, first rally competition of the year.

After driving along the seaside and almost downtown is this "ship" called Sólfarið or The Sun Voyager.

As you can see it was snowing, not the best weather to take pictures.  In the center of Reykjavík we have the parliament. It was built 1879-1881. 

Not far from it is the Catholic cathedral of Iceland Landakotskirkja. The door to the church means a lot to me as my grandmother´s brother made the hings not long before he drowned at the age of 29.

Don´t you think this is beautiful?

Maybe this could be used as pattern for applique or stitchery!

If you would come and visit me I would not show you much more here in Reykjavík.  I would instead take you to my favorite part of the country, the western part.  My father was born there.  There is something magical about being there.  As it is winter and I am not going to travel soon I searched the internet and found beautiful pictures from my favorite places.

Picture found here
Picture found here
Picture found here
Picture found here

Here my father spent many summers as a child. A part of our family lived there and took care of the lighthouse.
Picture found here

All these places are in a small radius from each other. We could drive from my home and see all these places just in one day.  So just come on over I am waiting for you.

22 comments:

Lynda said...

So good to see pictures of where you live. I may have to do that myself.

Simone de Klerk said...

Lovely pictures, Gudrun! They give a wonderful impression of your country. The story to the hings is very special!

Anonymous said...

Hello Gudrun, thank you for your tour of your homeland.....I always love to see pics of parts of the world I have not been to...I wish I could swing it when we travel...Hugs Lyn

Magia da Inês said...

Olá, amiga!
Voltei para mais uma visitinha...
Seu cantinho está lindo e criativo como sempre.
Belíssimas fotos!
Um ótimo fim de semana!
Beijinhos carinhosos.
Itabira - Brasil

Elin said...

Thank you for wonderful guiding in your nice country. I surely want to go there some time, but I don't know when.
I would like to go to the factory where they make all those wonderful yarn and patterns, Alafoss?

Sandi said...

Thankyou for showing us around Iceland. The hinges on the church door are beautiful, very ornate. I liked the ship sculpture too.

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh thank you for the tour of iceland.

Jossie said...

Thank you for the tour. Your invitation is very appealing! Your country stole my heart.

Kris Meares - Tag Along Teddies said...

Thank you for showing us some beautiful snapshots of Iceland! I don't think I'd want to visit in the winter - BRRRRR!! But loved the sunset photo and the gorgeous cathedral door hinges!! You're right, they'd make beautiful stitchery designs!! I joined Chookyblue's tour, too, so if you'd like to take a peek at Toowoomba ... pop in for a visit! :0) Bear Hugs! KRIS

Chookyblue...... said...

wow what a lovely country.......can't wait to get there........lol.........those hinges are gorgeous.........very special to have a connection to such beautiful work.........

Ali Honey said...

Thanks Gudrun, I enjoyed my wee tour with you.

Laila said...

Hi.
Thanks for the tour..
Oh I wish I could come.
I have heard so mutch great about Island.
Hugs ;-)

Myra said...

Awesome photos Guðrún!!! I am on my way!!! lol!!!
Those hinges on the church doors are very crafty! Awesome in appearance! A true artist!! It would sure be interesting doing an applique of one of them for a wall-quilt! 8-)
Hope you are doing well!

Jenny said...

I loved the photos of your magical country. Those hinges are just so beautiful and a very special connection for you-too young for him to die

Lynn said...

What fun this world tour is. What a fascinating place Iceland must be. The hinges are beautiful made at such a young age. You're right and applique would be a lovely way to honor your great-uncle.

Kiwifruit-Shiree said...

nk you Gudren, this is a truly wonderful tour, and very beautiful places to visit! The hinges are most gorgeous, and to think that they are part of your heritage is amazing, and yes very special indeed.

Meggie said...

Loved the pictures of where you live.
However, most of all the love the artistry in those wonderful hinges! How lovely to see them so displayed.

Grethe said...

First time visiting your blog. Lovely pictures from Iceland. Hope the volcanoes stay cool. Interesting yarn and pattern.
Happy Quilting to you from Grethe in Norway.

Skeena Quilts said...

We have been watching with fascination the exploding volcano! That is wild! We would love to vist Iceland - my husband's family is Icelandic.

Jossie said...

All my mails to you keep coming back. Hope everything is OK!

Beertje Zonn said...

Beautiful photos!
Bear regards,

Beertje Zonn
Bear from the Netherlands

Kerstin said...

a really wonderul idea!

viele Grüße
Kerstin