
Today is our independence day we got our independence from Denmark 1944. The first settlers here were people from Norway seeking new land in the year of 874! We also have Irish blood because when the vikings went abroad they took people from Ireland with them back to Iceland to work for them. We were ruled both by Norway and Denmark during the period 874-1944 (mostly by Denmark). This day was chosen because Jón Sigurðsson a big leader to gain independence was born on this day.
We have several types of costumes, they are very expensive even though you would sew one for yourself, the fabrics and decoration needed are so expensive, the one I would like is this, called peysuföt:

This is the most common and is called upphlutur:

Then we have this which was worn by the richest ladies in the country and is called skautbúningur:

And this is the newest only from ca 1870 and is called kyrtill:

I have to tell you about the event "Kvennahlaup" each year from 1990 on the saturday which is closest to the 17th. of June Icelandic women take part in a run for women only, they all dress in a T-shirt different color each year and choose their distance, 3km, 5km or 10km, they can walk, run or whatever they want to, to participate is the whole game, even women who are abroad gather together for their run
This one is in Gardabaer which is next to Reykjavík:
This one is in Italy:
And this one in Bulgaria:

And at last the fabrics that I bought last week, I could not resist it, I went to a shop just to look (not for fabric) and then I saw this, I didn´t know they sold fabric!
I did participate in the Pincushion swap which May Britt mentioned in her post, take a look at The country cellar to learn more about it.
Have a good day, Gudrún celebrating independence.
14 comments:
Oooh, wonderful blog! It's great learning about your country. The costumes are wonderful. Do you run too? I've always admired runners. And you can never ever pass up the opportunity to buy new fabric, right? That's my girl!
Thanks for today's lesson, I never knew that Iceland was previously controlled by the Danish. Very pretty fabrics. Have you decided what you're going to do with them yet?
Happy Indpendence Day!
Happy Independence Day! I hope you have had a great day, and that the weather in Reikjavik is better than in Oslo :o)
Happy Independence Day! And thank you for sharing some history and the costumes with us - imagine a design from 1870 being the 'newest' available *s*
Happy independence day. Thanks for sharing the photos of your costumes. I love national costumes.
And of course you had to buy those fabrics :)
I think I like the second costume the best, but ah, I am a simple girl at heart.
Thanks for sharing about your Indpendence Day!
Happy Independence Day, Gudrun !
Oh these costumes are beautiful ! And your explanations, so interesting ! THANKS !
And the fabric ! Just one word : WOW !
(now that you knwow this shop is selling fabric, I guess they will see you very often, "just to have a look ! LOL LOL)
Hugs & smiles !
NADINE
Happy Independence Day!! What a beautiful celebration. Thank you for sharing the history. The fabrics are wonderful. What a nice suprise to find them when you were not expecting too. What is the plan for them, or are they going into a stash for something unknown?
I visited via Hedgehog - I wanted to check out the flag. I visited Scandanavia in my youth, but did not make it to Iceland. When I arrived in England all those years ago, I had to pick my brother up from the Glacow airport as he had been caming in Iceland. He said it was a very beautiful country.
Lovely post! Happy Independence Day.
Very nice seeing those costumes, & learning about your country.
Lovely fabrics too!
Happy independence day and thanks for showing your national dresses.....we have nothing like that in Australia...we are not a very old country like yours.....
Thank you for sharing some history of your homeland. Happy Independence Day!
I can't wait until I get back home and can read and look through all this closer. I'm just too busy right now at mom's. We are having fun, but I"m soooo tired!
Post a Comment