5.12.07

Christmas

I have nothing new to show you today, I am sewing a Christmas table topper but haven´t finished yet and I don´t want to show you until it is finished. I am going to show you something old. I did this a year ago when my "little" brother had his first baby, a little girl I am so fond of, I try to act like a granny because she hasn´t got one here in Iceland.





I want to tell you a little about how our Christmas traditions are. On the 23rd we finish decorating the house and the Christmas tree. On the 24th we have dinner at 6 o´clock and after that we open our presents. On the 25th we have smoked lamb called "hangikjöt" and cakes called "laufabrauð" (you can read all about it here). There are no special traditions on the 26th. On the 31st we also have dinner at 6 o´clock and at midnight we go nuts and fireworks fill the sky. We (the Icelandic people) spend loooooots of money on fireworks. On New years day we also have smoked lamb.

Laufabrauð




We have 13 santas here in Iceland and the first comes on the night of the 12th, so before the children go to sleep they put their shoe out in the window and in the morning of the 12th they rush to see what santa has brought to them in the night, some are afraid of them ;) The santas come one after another each night until the morning of the 24th. They all have their own name, I am going to post a picture of them the day they come so on the 12th the first will be here on my blog, watch out because they are a little naughty, they love to tease, well they have changed over the years but they were very scary in the old days.

20 comments:

corry said...

I love the bag and the blanket. And what a great tradition you have in Iceland! 13 santas?? Can't wait to see their pictures and a photo of your finished tablerunner!

Anonymous said...

Oh Gudrun that quilt and bag is adorable. Looking forward to seeing your table runner completed and seeing/hearing about the different Santa's.

Libby said...

Ohh, I am so excited to see the different Santa's. Thank you so much for sharing your Iceland traditions . . . what fun to have Santa visit each night for 12 nights. I don't know if I could sleep *s*

Carole said...

Lovely quilt and bag! I cannot wait to read about your Santas. I love Santa! Won't you just give us a peak of your table runner? ;o)
Keep well!

Kristie said...

I just love the quilt and bag, it is soooo pretty. Your Christmas traditions sound so interesting. I can't wait to hear all about it. This will be something very fun to share with my boys. Have a great holiday.
Kristie

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

love your bag and quilt...can't wait to see the table runner...

Rose Marie said...

I'll be checking for sure on the 12th to see the first santa. Lovely tote bag and quilt!

May Britt said...

How fun for the children that 13 santas are coming before christmas :) LIke an adventkalender.

QuiltingFitzy said...

Thank you for sharing your traditions with us. I had no clue!

I can't wait!

atet said...

12 Santas??? My daugther doesn't need to know this yet -- she's excited enough about the one!

meggie said...

I love to read about the 'other' Santas, who come to visit other children!

rt said...

Lovely bag and quilt!

Ali Honey said...

The different traditions sound fun. I will watch with interest.

The baby things you made a really lovely.

hetty said...

Lovely bag and quilt! Looking forward to seeing your table runner completed! Thanks for sharing some of your Icelandic Christmas traditions - very interesting! All those Santas! Wow! I was not aware that you had so many. Can't wait to see what they look like!

May Kristin said...

The bag and the little quilt is so cute and perfect for a little girl!
Love to read about your traditions!

Sarah Nopp said...

I so look forward to seeing all the Santas. Thank you so much for telling us about them. I will be checking back just as often as possible!

Quilts And Pieces said...

Oh I can't wait to see all the santas! I just love learning about all these traditions! I think it is so funny that they are sometimes naughty!

Barbara said...

thanks for sharing your christmas traditions....and..wonderful bag..greetings Barbara

Cordula Klöfkorn said...

Never heard of 12 Santas. For the children it must be a wonderful exciting time before christmas. And I am astonished how diffent christmas traditions exist. I like to read about it. Thank you for your link and explanation. ...perhaps I could put my shoe also every night in the window?....;-)))

Featheronawire Sally Bramald said...

It's lovely to hear about the Icelandic traditions. Christmas gets spread over a long period doesn't it. Do the kids get unbearably excited?
My own DD couldn't contain herself with just one visit from Father Christmas (grin)